Presented by Veterinary Specialty Centre of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Storm is Newfoundland and Labrador’s junior provincial ultimate team. Athletes are eligible for the team if they are at least 14 years old and no older than 18 by Dec. 31.
In 2021, Storm’s open and women’s teams aim to compete at the Junior Canadian Ultimate Championships in August, COVID-19 pending.
Interested in playing for Storm? Complete the Registration Form for the upcoming tryouts. More information below.
2021 Youth Development Camp
Building off the inaugural development camp in 2019, Ultimate NL continues to offer an opportunity for athletes to demonstrate and improve the skills they will need for competing at the next level. The eight-week camp includes one-hour sessions of skill-intensive training once a week that teach a specific aspect of the game from a high-level ultimate athlete or coach. Skills testing will follow to gauge the player’s level of understanding.
- Wednesdays, 4-5:30 p.m. @ Techniplex
- Jan. 6-Feb. 24
- Registration and full details can be found here
2021 Tryout and Season Information
Youth players of all skill levels, who are between the ages of 14 and 18 as of Dec. 31, 2021, are eligible to try out.
Tryouts (both open & women) will be held on the following dates at the Techniplex in St. John’s:
- Saturday, May 8, 1-4 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 12, 4-5:30 p.m.
Anyone interested in trying out must complete the Registration Form.
Registrants will be considered registered once they have submitted a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions can be directed to David Whitney-Brown, youth development and competition director, at email@example.com
The coaching application is now closed.
Training begins shortly after team selection. The prospective practice schedule is as follows:
- From May 23rd through June 6th practices will be once a week on Sundays from 12:00-2:00pm. These practices will be held at the PowerPlex.
- From June through the end of August, practice sessions will be held three times a week outdoors.
- From the week of June 21st through the end of the season, one session per week will be dedicated to a Storm league where participants will be placed into teams in a league format and play games. This will give participants the opportunity to put what they have practised into real games.
Storm Ultimate is encouraging athletes to sign up for the APSolute Athlete Program for the 2021 season. Physical preparation for tryouts, and the rest of the ultimate season,
increases the safety of the athletes and decreases the risks of injury. This program is through Atlantic Pro Sports, and can be accessed by visiting the APSolute website.
- 2017: First year Ultimate NL sent a junior team to the Canadian Ultimate Championships (CUC) that consisted entirely of players from Newfoundland and Labrador.
- 2018: First year that both open and women’s teams competed in the junior division at CUC.
- 2018: Junior women’s team placed second overall in spirit rankings at CUC.
- 2018: Junior open team broke seed, advancing to finish 20th from a seeded position of 24th at CUC.
- 2019: Junior women place second overall in spirit rankings for the second year in a row at CUC.
- 2019: Junior open has the first female captain in team history.
Our thanks to Veterinary Specialty Centre of Newfoundland and Labrador, the exclusive team sponsor for Storm.
Training begins shortly after team selection.